Monday, May 22, 2006

CNN Ya Latah!

My love-hate relationship with CNN.com, who brings me BREAKING NEWS! Has ended. This is the last straw. They haven't taken any of my constructive criticism to heart and now it's time to say goodbye.

In the great tradition of my coworker Conrad, who boycotts things left and right with seemingly irrevocable logic, I am adding CNN.com to my list. This morning's top story, of all the news in the world, is about a horse's surgery. Sure he won one of the races for the Triple Crown. But the mad and ridiculous rush to cover this minute-by-minute drama forced writers to mispell the word "doctor" in the headline. And they use what I so despise...the dreaded CNN.com "quotation marks" when describing his fate as a "coin toss".

Luckily, Foxnews.com is also running the same story as its headliner. I get to boycott them too, although I've only been there twice! Looks like I'm headed to NPR and Google News where they don't have a single mention of Barbaro's surgery.

---EDIT--- In the time it took me to write this post, the story has changed to "Barbaro eating, flirting with mares". I kid you not. So I gave CNN one last chance. And they disappointed me.

BOYCOTT ON!

1 comment:

KQ said...

Just to keep you updated- from the LA Times:

Edgar Prado, the jockey aboard Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro when the colt broke down because of a shattered hind leg in the Preakness Stakes, said Wednesday he was "heartbroken" and spent much of the last few days crying.
. . .
It has been an emotionally charged year for Prado, 38, whose mother, Zenaida, died of cancer in January in Peru after a delay in receiving clearance to enter the United States for treatment.
. . .
Richardson also said many horses with injuries such as Barbaro's are euthanized on the track and are never given a chance to overcome their injuries.

"It goes to show you that in America, everything is possible," Prado said. "The technology here is superior to so many other countries. You have a better chance to survive any kind of injury or illness here than you do anywhere else.

"I'm glad he's getting what my mother didn't. A chance to survive."


Now- don't you feel BAD? Wasn't that IMPORTANT?

;)