Monday, June 19, 2006

Dewey and His Decimals.

Ah, UHF. What a wondrous movie. Pure, unadulterated comedy at its near finest. In addition, it served as a bastion of my childhood, amongst other things. In many ways, it was one of the generators of thousands of funny inside jokes between me and my friend Robert.

Recently my job has proliferated. We are starting to get in a ton of new content, some of which will have to be scanned in.

I've been signing on more and more publishers, which involves at least 40 precise e-mails to different publishers with different content and all of whom have a different story. You thought captaining with Michael Wood was time consuming? Oi vey (sp?)! In addition it means overseeing all the content going in, prepping most of them, and remembering no less than 10 processes which must be done in the correct order for each of them.

Back to Wierd Al's movie. "Don't you know the Dewey Decimal System?!" - Conan the Librarian, UHF. Every day I have to further streamline my processes just to keep track of the information on all of the publishers. Who's got contracts in? Who's on the fence? When did I talk to Johnny McComicsums last?

Today the massive amount of processes reminded me of one of the most fascinating short stories I've ever read. The Library of Babel by Jorge Luis Borges. I read it during an English course I took in college about Apocalyptic literature. We read that, and like totally watched 12 Monkeys and stuff. It was awesome. I suggest giving it a read, its super keen.

No comments: