Monday, September 05, 2005

Hi! My name is..

...John Roberts...
And I'll be your new Supreme Court Chief Justice. I'm confirmed? Heck no! People know who I am? Heck no! George Bush knows who I am? Probably not!

How in the name of all that is good in this world can someone be nominated for one of the most important judicial positions on the planet earth without going first being the step below that? Am I taking crazy pills? Maybe the same crazy pills I took when the two nominees for president weren't straight A students at the best universities our country had to offer? Why the hell not have the most qualified people for the job--the people that have the greatest range of understanding and comprehension for the task at hand?

They didn't have Jerry Lewis in charge of the Manhattan Project. This matters. This is something important. Why not have someone extremely qualified to be a job applicant for it? I know Roberts is no judicial pushover...but why not have someone who was actually ON the supreme court be a nominee for its head?

Just a question.

5 comments:

Edelman said...

You must be using the generic brand of crazy pills. Those are the same ones I take, except my insurance covers mine.

YARHARRRR DAVEY JONES' LOCKER

SamanthaG said...

Well, let's see....Oh wait, its politics. There's something sneaky going on... or maybe im taking the same crazy pills that you are.

For serious, yo!

Tell Erin "hey" for me!

Ned said...

My crazy pills must be Xtra Strength. You can't get the kind of potency from Canadian imports that are needed for masking the reality that will be our supreme court for the forseeable future. And Sam, I will not tell Erin "hey" for you...she deserves a full "hello".

Amy said...

why start picking qualified people now? the hunt and peck method for filling vacancies seems to keep the kids in d.c. happy, and lord knows that the happiness of d.c. is more important that upholding the integrity of our country.

but, really, if the choice is roberts or scalia, which do you prefer? because scalia was our next in line and my feelings for him redefine "hate."

Ned said...

Well, lookie who it is! Miss Amy! Well, I would certainly ... CERTAINLY not call it a hunt and peck method. "Rolodex Method" and/or "Christmas Card List Method" are probably more correct.

While we are into certainties. I certainly would move to Canada if Scalia got promoted. I'm looking for qualified people, not crazy people.