Tuesday, October 18, 2005

The Luddite

Well many days have passed since my last entry. Not one comment. Not ONE comment amidst all of the diamonds I've been throwing your way. Absolute gems. Pearls before swine? Ya'll don't oink--who am I kidding?

At any rate, I've got a backlog of topics and stories I'd like to relate to you. Epic epiphanies and ribald reasonings. But this troubadour has been beset by a curse. A dangerous warlock has decended from his ivory tower deep in the rainforest Seatl to best me in mortal combat. A lonely minstrel facing off against the most powerful magicks this land has to offer? I didn't stand a chance against the Wireless Network Setup Wizard.

All morning I'm the Pied Piper. I've been leading my mouse all over the damned place---the swamps of Your Network Places, the steep precipice of Windows Update, the dungeon of TCP/IP, and even the far-off shores of Random Internet Articles. But this Pied Piper is feeling more and more like St. Patrick. Ssssnakess in my sssyssstem! This Wizard is supposed to help me, to make things happy in Hobbiton. Yet vex me he doth. All I want to do is share files amongst computers and be able to print wirelessly. Is that too much to ask?!

As the madness creeps into my mind and thoughts of Gatesassination tickle my fancy, I am reminded of a piece of my name's history. Ned Ludd. He would stand for no such thing! He would fight the forces of evil with tooth and nail! He would find the quickest spatial melding of keyboard and monitor!

In my heart I know the digital revolution is just as powerful as the industrial one. We'll never be able to divorce ourselves of technology...but it sure is cathartic to imagine your computer blowing up every once and a while.

(Edited: Geez, one step ahead of CNN. Here's an article on the frontpage today!)

9 comments:

KQ said...

I have experienced much anguish at trying to establish my wireless network at home. Even though ninjas don't ACTUALLY need wireless. They can already send thoughts and information through the ether.

Edelman said...

wireless networking is the easiest thing since your mom

SamanthaG said...

Are you mimicking the guy from the Lord of the Rings in your photo?

Ned said...

Mimicking? You mean photoshopping?

and Edelman...seriously, my mom might read this and come beat the livin' tar outta you.

SamanthaG said...

No...your mimicking!

KQ said...

I think he was talking about MY mom. Who is in town and will kick yo' ass.
What guy from LOTR?

Ned said...

Sarumon...the guy in the graphic in the post?

KQ said...

I'm so confused. I thought she was talking about Edelman's picture.

Ned said...

Edelman DOES sorta look like Frodo.